While you were in high school, did you take and pass any of the five Regents Exams offered in New York State?  If you did, you may use a maximum of four of these passing Regents Exam scores to substitute for the same subject test on the GED.  For many, this is good news because you can then focus your studies on just one or two areas. You are still taking the GED exam, but fewer subject tests!

The following table shows which Regents Examinations will be credited for the corresponding GED subject tests:

If you wish to use Regents Exams passing scores in place of a GED subject test, you must complete an application called “Application R”.  You send this application to the high school where you took the Regents exams. The high school provides the transcripts and passing scores to the NY State Education Department (NYSED).  This process takes 6-8 weeks.  Here are the steps as outlined by the New York State Education Department:

  1. Fill out Section A of the Application R, which is available here: Application R
  2. If you are in a preparation program, ask your instructor to assist you in completing Section B as well.
  3. Mail or drop off the Application R to the high school you most recently attended in New York State.  (If the high school attended has closed, please contact the school district’s central office. In New York City, contact the NYC Department of Education.)
  4. Applicants should keep of copy of the application sent to the high school, for their own records.
  5. The high school will need to 1) complete the remainder of Application R; 2) sign and certify; 3) attach required transcripts which demonstrate Regents credits; and 4) mail to the HSE Office or submit digitally.

The application and more information on the Regents Exam Path are available at the NYSED website.